Kids love this simple delicious meal.
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 large bunches of spinach, about 1 pound
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Clean and prep the spinach: Cut off the thick stems of the spinach and discard.
- Clean the spinach by filling up your sink with water and soaking the spinach to loosen any sand or dirt. Drain the spinach and then repeat soaking and draining.
- Put the spinach in a salad spinner to remove any excess moisture.
- Sauté garlic: Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, until the garlic is just beginning to brown.
- Add spinach to pan: Add the spinach to the pan, packing it down a bit if you need to with your hand.
- Use a couple spatulas to lift the spinach and turn it over in the pan so that you coat more of it with the olive oil and garlic.
- Do this a couple of times. Cover the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Uncover and turn the spinach over again.
- Cover the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove from pan and drain excess liquid: After 2 minutes of covered cooking the spinach should be completely wilted.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain any excess liquid from the pan. Add a little more olive oil, sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Courtesy of Samuel Samura. Samuel Samura is a native from West Africa, he writes on various topics, including health, fitness, African cultures etc. He is the author of ‘Meeting the cheeky bumsters of The Gambia‘ an article that throws light on some of the things to expect when visiting The Gambia as a tourist.