Gambian Ebbeh Soup
The Gambians love their Ebbeh Soup, it is easy to prepare and delicious. it a a chunky mix of vegetables, seafood, and spices, highlighted with local flavours.
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 kg cassava peeled and cut into chunks
- 200g smoked banga fish, bones and flakes removed
- 200g smoked catfish bones and flakes remove
- 200g prawns on peel
- 100g crab cut into halves
- 400ml palm oil
- 100g hot whole chili
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 50g black tamarind
- 3 litre water
- 2 stock cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the cassava until tender.
- Remove the cassava; keep the water for further cooking,
- Pound the cassava in a mortar with pestle.
- Add the cassava back to the water, simmer, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Continue to simmer until all ingredients are cooked.
- Adjust the seasoning as desired and add lime juice to taste.
Courtesy of Samuel Samura. Samuel Samura is a native from West Africa, he writes on various topics, including health, fitness, African cultures etc. He is the author of ‘Meeting the cheeky bumsters of The Gambia‘ an article that throws light on some of the things to expect when visiting The Gambia as a tourist.