6-Cheese Truffle Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese is adored worldwide it makes everyone happy. One of my favorite recipe because it is a great spin on a timeless classic.
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 quart heavy cream
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Seasoning salt, to taste
- 4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded smoked Gouda
- 1 cup shredded fontina
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- White truffle oil, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a cast iron skillet, and set aside.
- Cook macaroni to instructions on packaging.
- While the macaroni is cooking, start your roux.
- In a medium pot on low heat, melt the butter, sprinkle in the flour, and stir constantly until it makes a smooth, thick paste.
- Stir in heavy cream and whisk until smooth.
- Add garlic powder, pepper and seasoning salt to taste.
- Begin adding the extra sharp cheddar, mozzarella, smoked Gouda, fontina and Parmesan to the mixture, stirring well each addition until the sauce is smooth.
- Add truffle oil to taste (a little goes a long way!).
- Stir entire mixture until smooth.
- Drain macaroni, and toss into pot with cheese sauce.
- Toss gently until well combined.
- Pour pasta and cheese mixture into buttered skillet.
- Top with cheddar Jack and panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Courtesy of Samuel Samura. Samuel Samura is a native from West Africa, he writes on various topics, including health, fitness, African cultures etc. He is the author of ‘Meeting the cheeky bumsters of The Gambia‘ an article that throws light on some of the things to expect when visiting The Gambia as a tourist.